Monday, October 12, 2009

NML video

In this video the group working on the New Media Literacies Project describes what they are about and the list of skills that you need in order to be part of the new wave of literacies.

They listed several in the video to name just a few, judgement, performance, transmedia navigation, and there were several more. The group working on the project claim that you must have this list of skills to become artists, citizens, and workers. I believe that even if you posses a few the others you will acquire along the way or will learn through classes.

I agree with them, when they talk about how we are no longer consumers anymore. We are producers, we are now putting the information out there for others to use, or criticize. No longer are we just using the information, but say on a cite like wikispaces or wkipedia we can change whatever we like.

I posses some of these skills such as multitasking, I believe that is more second nature for me. I am not exactly sure what they mean by visualization but if I had to take a guess it would be that we can see the way things are changing, and what needs to change. Having a good visual of a dream I guess, and that I do have. Appropriation, this would be a skill I need to work on, I can take content and use it but I would love to be able to make a video like the one we saw. Two of the skills that Mr. Sullivan my EDM 310 teacher has helped my class with is negotiation and judgement. Learning what the best cites are and which podcasts to subscribe to.

There were many skills listed some I have, some I do not have, and most of them I am working on. It was nice to see a webite trying to better not only the way we communicate but the way we communicate with technology. To learn more go to New Media Literacies website. There is much ahead of us with technology, and we will need these skills to not only know how to navigate with it, but to teach a generation who will know so much more than us. Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment